Saturday, October 23, 2010

Spontaneity

Kellen had fall break so I decided to take Friday off so we could spend some quality time together. We started driving South and I was pretty sure he was heading toward the Cleveland Lloyd Dinosaur Quarry but I didn't want to spoil the surprise. I always beg to stop at the Quarry when we are on our way home from Powell or camping but without fail it's always closed by the time we get there. Sure enough, we were headed for the Quarry. Well, it wouldn't be a trip if we didn't pop a tire. We got it changed and were on our way.
We pulled up to the Quarry and I was really excited. We went inside and bought our tickets. I asked the guy where I could see the most bones (I had it in my mind that we were going to a quarry, you know, a big pit with lots of bones being uncovered). He looked at me really weird and said all the bones were in the building in the back. The building in the back was one of those temporary buildings made out of metal. It did have bones but it wasn't much to see. We decided to walk on one of their trails hoping to see something cool. They had random markers at different sights in the desert which pretty much just marked clumps of dirt. It was pretty sad. We laughed about how bad it was.

So when we had changed the tire it didn't seem to go on quite right. Kellen was pretty worried about it so we headed back to Big O in Price. The people there were really nice, figured out the problem and sent us on our way, free of charge.

With half of Friday gone we were trying to decide what to do next. We could go right and head back home or we could turn left and head south. We decided to head South and ended up in Moab. I didn't know we wouldn't be going home so I didn't pack anything. Kellen on the other hand had packed some camping gear, and a change of clothes, just in case.

We got there pretty late and started looking for a campsite. Moab was packed. There wasn't an open campsite to be found and most of the inexpensive hotels were booked. Of course we decide to be spontaneous on the busiest weekend of the year. One cool thing that came out of our search for a campsite in the dark is we got to see Milk Jug arch with a star filled sky behind it. Pretty romantic.

Lucky for us, Kellen's cousin lives in Moab and was nice enough to let us crash with him. We had dinner at a really good Italian restaurant on Main Street and fell asleep watching a movie.

On Saturday morning we walked up and down Main Street. We window shopped and went in a cool little art gallery and a book store. Since Arches was so packed, Kellen's cousin suggested some less traveled attractions for us to check out. They turned out to be perfect. First, we went to Cable arch. There was only one other couple there. It is a little bit of a walk but not bad at all.

Then we went to Birthing Rock.
This one was Kellen's favorite because the guy looks like he has a backpack on and a walking stick.
We went back to Moab and had lunch at the cutest cafe ever. I loved it and loved being there with him. After lunch we headed back toward home. On the way we stopped at Dead Horse Point. The view was pretty cool.
Talk about a whirl wind trip. We finally did something spontaneous. What crazy spontaneous trip have you been on lately? I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. I spontaneously stopped by Macey's and picked up milk today! :) I am glad you guys had a great time. I miss those days of last minute plans... they will come back when my arthritis kicks in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least one of us makes it to the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete