Friday, November 11, 2011

How Old Am I ?

I've been dealing with shingles.  Not the kind that go on your roof, the kind that come from the chicken pox virus.  At first I went crazy thinking I had something biting me in the night causing the series of painful bumps appearing on my back.  I literally tore apart our bed.  I took all the blankets off, the mattress and even lifted up the box spring to see if anything was devouring my skin in the night.  Nada. I was thinking what the crap/thank goodness we don't have any sort of pest problem. After almost a week I finally broke down and followed Kellen and my Mom's advice to call the Good Dr.  It took about 2 seconds before he said I have shingles.  In some ways I was relieved that I wasn't totally losing my mind (my leg had been painful and itchy for no apparent reason).  In other ways I was freaked out and in total denial.  I thought only older people get shingles.  I'd seen the commercials for shingles vaccine before.  It clearly stated it was for people over 50 but apparently I'm one of the lucky few.  The good news is I most likely won't ever get it again and I am not contagious.  I have been very lucky to not have a bad case.  Some people are in a lot of pain for a long time and get huge patches of blisters.  Mine really haven't been that bad.  Luckily even though I procrastinated seeing the Good Dr. I caught it really early and started taking an anti-viral (aka horse pills) which helps stop the progression of the virus.  I'm gonna go celebrate with some prune juice and watch matlock.

1 comment:

  1. Ha. I'm so sorry about the shingles, that's horrible. If Matlock isn't on, you could watch Diagnosis Murder, Columbo, or Murder She Wrote. Wow, old people like detectives.

    ReplyDelete