Friday, February 20, 2009

Missing Grandma


Have you ever been doing something totally ordinary then all the sudden something triggers a memory of someone who has passed on? I was going through my recipes to type them in for our relief society cookbook when I came across Grandma's marshmallow Easter egg recipe. I can still remember the light streaming in through her kitchen as we decorated the Easter eggs with those little sugary letters and figures you decorate cakes with. She always made every holiday special. I was fortunate enough to get this particular recipe from her before she died. She was the best person I have ever known. She always took the time to talk, no matter what she was doing. She took the time to share her love of gardening with me but more importantly, she taught me about life during those summer afternoons. If I grow up to be a fraction of what she was I will be doing pretty good.


Here is the recipe:

Marshmallow Easter Eggs
Makes 12-16 large eggs

6 tablespoons cold water
½ cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 packages Knox gelatin
1 ½ cups sugar
Pinch of salt
Food coloring – if desired

Soften gelatin in cold water. Add sugar to the ½ cup water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add gelatin. Stir until mixture resembles whipped cream. Add salt, vanilla, food coloring. Fill baking pans with 2 inches of flour. Make indentations in the flour with an egg. Fill with prepared marshmallow mixture. Place in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the refrigerator and flip eggs over to cover with flour. Eggs can then be dipped in chocolate for a special Easter treat.

Notes: Prepare flour pans while syrup is cooking. If you have access to a cake decorating bag, use this to fill indentations with marshmallow mixture. Be prepared to work quite fast as the mixture sets up quickly. The flour can be returned to its container to be used again. Eggs can be decorated with cake decorating supplies for a fun project with children.

2 comments:

  1. See... I told you that you would have great things to blog about! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete